We’ve been traveling so much this summer that I wanted to sit down and write a post on just how we make it work with our two babies on-the-go so frequently! I will add that our girls are really great travelers because they started doing it when they were so young. My husband is super spontaneous and also a small plane pilot, so we started traveling with both girls as newborns. I’m not sure if that has much to do with how well they travel, but I feel like it’s just second nature for them. Traveling made easy with babies…sounds easier said than done, right?
I get asked a lot how I make it work while we’re traveling. It’s not always easy. It can be stressful, but I always know what I’m getting into when I agree to get on the road again. We haven’t been home much this summer, and our girls are starting to feel it a little, so we are staying put for a few weeks before we go again! I’m looking forward to some time at home.
Here are some ways that make traveling with babies easier on the parents:
- Plan & Pack Light – I am sooooo bad at overpacking, but when it comes to packing our whole family, I try to pack light. I try to only take the essentials, not freak out and know that I can purchase the things I forgot when I get there. Try to plan for what you are going to be doing and take only what you need. Also, we usually have access to a washer/dryer so I try to only take a few outfits and what we will absolutely need for each of us. I pack myself and the babes in this suitcase and then pack our toiletries, my makeup, diapers, etc in a different bag.
- Get a Comfy Carseat – Lennyn recently made the switch from the infant carrier to the Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible carseat. We love this carseat because not only is it the safest in its class, but it’s easily portable. It doesn’t have the hard-to-tighten anchors and only needs a car/airplane seatbelt to click tight into place and not move. Once it’s installed (correctly) it won’t budge. She is loving it so far!
- Pack Essentials – We recently got this Cottonelle Care Box and it has everything you will need for traveling. Laikyn still has to potty in the car sometimes with her travel potty, so I try to keep wipes or toilet paper in the car. This box came with all of these things to make life easier while traveling. We use this travel potty. Best. Invention. Ever.
- Don’t Set Expectations Too High – Don’t expect your children to act normal while you’re gone. We were gone for about 8 days, and one of my babies won’t go to the bathroom away from home. This is hard on her and us because we keep expecting her to go. We returned home and within an hour she had gone 3 times. Don’t expect too much out of your littles because you will be frustrated, take it out on them or yourself and it could ruin your trip. Just don’t set yourself up for failure!
- Enjoy – Try to enjoy your time away! You went on vacation or traveled for a reason! Enjoy your time away. Try not to stress and just go with the flow! I know moms all want to be in control, and we are most of the time, but just let your trip be fun and worry-free!
My girls are still good sleepers while we are away from home! We set into place their normal bedtime routines even if it’s several hours later than normal. Laikyn sleeps in a bed and Lennyn sleeps in a crib or pack n play. I love this one, and we take it with us if we know we need it. Most hotels will provide you a pack n play or a crib if you ask for it so you don’t have to travel with one. I ALWAYS take a sound machine or use the app on my phone for white noise for the girls – this one is great and easy to pack. Laikyn always takes her baby and lovey and Lennyn sleeps with a blankey and sleep sack. Just know your children, try to keep their sleep habits the same while on vacation/traveling and I promise you’ll be surprised at how resilient they are!
Traveling with essentials is made easy with the Cottonelle Clean Care Box and I’m so glad we had it on our last trip. It’s everything you will need and more. Here is what came in the box and where you can get it! The Cottonelle Clean Care Box is so cool! It’s currently sold out at Target right now, but you can get the full size products HERE.
What’s in the box? Lots of full size products and samples to make traveling easier on everyone in the family!
Cottonelle® Clean Care Bath Tissue: I keep this in the car for those side-of-the-road toddler potty trips!
Kleenex® Facial Cleansing Wipes : After long hours of traveling, I never want to take off my makeup before falling into bed. I use these pretty often when we’re away from home to take off makeup and “wash” my face.
Kleenex® Facial Tissue: Never fails, someone gets sniffles while we’re traveling! I keep a package of these in my diaper bag at all times!
Skinfix® Ultra Rich Hand Cream (3 oz.): This hand cream hydrates, and moisturizes even the driest, eczema-prone hands with it’s unscented and medicated formula. Dermatologist tested and paraben-free, this hand cream relieves and soothes itchy, irritated skin. Also, great to keep in the diaper bag!
Skinfix® Lip Repair Balm (0.35 oz.): I love this stuff! So hydrating and isn’t sticky on your lips! Great for the babes too!
The Bathery® Delicate Sponge: I like to exfoliate before I put on my spray tan before traveling. This is the perfect mix of soft while exfoliating your skin! This is my favorite spray tan in a can.
What are some tips you have for traveling with kids? What works for you? Will you be grabbing a Cottonelle Clean Care Box for your next traveling adventure? All of the things in it are perfect for your next trip + I’ve included everything you might need for your trip with kids in the little tool below that you can just click to go to the website.
Any other questions? I’d be happy to ask! We travel so much, but we are no where near experts! I just know what works for us, what we like to take and plan for and how my kids are going to do! I would love to answer any questions you may have!