Huge THANK YOU to Dry Bar for collaborating on today’s post and the 7 Day Dirty Hair Challenge! This post contains affiliate links and/or has products that have been given for review.
Do you like dirty little secrets?? Secrets don’t usually make friends, but this one is an exception. This secret is going to be your BEST FRIEND. Dirty hair is going to be your new bestie, and I’m going to tell you how. Are you ready to know HOW to go 7 days between washes and keep your hair looking amazing? Yes, I said 7 DAYS! You’re going to love dirty hair once you get used to it! I know what you’re thinking: I can’t do this…my hair is too oily…but I workout and sweat, and I can’t not wash my hair everyday…but it stinks… I promise, I’m telling you all of my secrets in this post including the hairstyles I do each day and HOW to do them! (Do you want to give me a hug yet?) Well, I’m going to tell you how you can go 7 days (or more!!!) without washing your hair! It’s called: The Art of Dirty Hair.
I almost always just wash my hair once a week. I’ve been doing this for about 2 years now, and I truly believe that’s why my hair is the most healthy (and longest) it’s ever been! I still go see my hairstylist for a trim and a highlight/lowlight/balyage about 4-5 times a year, but this is what’s going to keep your hair going in between those salon visits! Before doing this, I hated the feel of dirty hair. I couldn’t stand the way it felt! I felt like it was stinky. I felt like everyone just knew that I didn’t wash my hair! I hated it!
Then I stopped caring. I stopped caring what everyone thought, the way it felt, and just did it! I just went for it and trained my hair to follow suit. It may take you some time to build up to 7 days, but I promise before too long you will be able to do it!
Ready to get started? Here’s some tips before I lay it all out for you:
- Pick a day to wash your hair. My day is usually Sunday. Some weeks, my days are off but on a normal week, Sunday is the day!
- Make the decision to buy some products that are going to work. I am going to link everything I use at the bottom of this post. You need good shampoo/conditioner, dry shampoo, and hair spray for sure.
- Invest in a good curling iron/wand/blowdryer. Just do it. Once again, going to link all of the ones I use at the bottom.
- Just go with it…let it gooooo (cue the song) and enjoy your healthy hair!
Day 1 Style: Straight with Volume
This is the day you’re going to wash your hair. I shampoo/condition and then blow-dry and style. I straighten on the first day, but if you don’t need to do that, just blow-dry and style like normal. This is the day I use minimal products! These are the products I use on this day:
Day 2 Style: Loose Curls
This is your best hair day. It’s my favorite! If I have something special, I make sure to wash my hair the day before, because day 2 (and 3) are going to be your best hair days. Day 2 is when I use my curling wand and minimal products, again. I posted a tutorial on my interactive Facebook Group through Facebook Live Video HERE. These are the products I use on Day 2:
Day 3 Style: Curled / Half Up
This is also your best hair day, take 2. Day 2 and 3 are seriously the best because you can still leave your hair down, it still has natural volume and is going to look great. Day 3 really has the most minimal work. I curl with a curling iron and either leave it all the way down, do a half-up messy bun or pull half of it back. I am using a bit more product, but still no dry shampoo. If you have extra oily hair, this is the day you will probably start using Dry Shampoo. Here are the products I use on Day 3:
How to use Dry Shampoo: Section your hair off into sections of 1/2 inches and spray directly on roots. Section the next part off and repeat. I never do the bottom of my hair, only the roots that tend to get oily. Do this BEFORE you start styling your hair, after brushing your hair.
Day 4 Style: Top Knot
Day 4 is when this starts to get hard for most people. This is when you usually want to give in and just wash your hair! Yes, your hair usually feels better when you wash it…but just push through. Just do it! If you feel like your hair is starting to smell, you can use a hair perfume like THIS ONE. This day, you will likely need Dry Shampoo. I didn’t use any on this day, but Day 5 is when I started needing it. Day 4 and 5’s styles are interchangeable. Sometimes I’m a braid on 4 and top knot on 5, but this week I was top knot on 4 (it was super windy) and braid on 5. I recently did a Facebook Live Video HERE on how to do a top knot (seriously like a 5 minute hair style). Here are the products you are going to need for this day:
Day 5 Style: Messy Braid
YAY! You’ve pushed through and you’re on the tail end of not washing your hair! You can do this! You are likely going to need Dry Shampoo on this day (I do!) and it’s going to be a messy hairstyle day. You can also use your hair perfume if needed! Day 5 products:
Day 6 Style: Messy Pony
Almost there! You’ve almost made it! Today can be tricky if you have oily hair. I have extremely dry skin and hair, so I’m usually still good on this day. BUT, if you have oily hair and still want to not wash your hair – here’s how! On this day there are two parts:
Oily Hair: You’re going to wet and wash JUST THE ROOTS of your hair. Bend your hair over the sink or bathtub, and pull the rest of your hair back into a ponytail to keep it from getting wet. Shampoo and condition your roots, then blow-dry just the roots as well.
Not Oily Hair: You’re going to just Dry Shampoo and Blow-Dry your hair. Dry shampoo your roots (after brushing) and quickly flip your hair over and blow dry the roots where you just sprayed the Dry Shampoo.
Now that we’re all together….here’s the products and style options for today:
Day 7 Style: Hat or Bun
Raise those hands up (you are the praise hands emoji) because you’ve done it!!! You’ve gone 7 days without washing your hair. Oh it’s going to feel so good to get in the shower and wash your hair! But, for today. Here are the options: today is the least favorite day of all. You’re so ready to wash your hair and just over it. So, today you have some options. You can throw a hat on and call it good…or you can braid and/or top knot again. I’m going to show you each of these options!
You can choose a ball cap or fashionable hat like this one. Depending on what I have to do on this day is how I choose my hat. If I’m just running to the grocery store, I’ll throw on some yoga clothes and a ball cap. If I have dinner plans or something where I need to be “cute” I’ll go for a floppy hat like THIS one. For the ball cap, I’ll do a ponytail or braid and for the floppy hat I will still curl the very ends of my hair. You won’t need any dry shampoo for this since your roots won’t show!
For Braid/Top Knot: You are going to want to dry shampoo! It’s going to be your BFF for today. I’m going to go with a braided top knot so that my hair is out of my face, doesn’t look oily and it’s a fun twist on it since I’ve already done both this week. HERE is a tutorial that I did (years ag0, don’t judge).
Products for Day 7:
YAY! Now you can wash!! You did it! Here are some questions I’d like to address that I’ve been asked in our Facebook group:
- What do you use to keep you hair dry in the shower?
- How do you sleep at night?
- I sleep with my hair brushed and down (not ponytailed) but sweep it up or to the side if that makes sense. I’ve also heard to sleep on a silk pillowcase, but I don’t do that. I sleep on some pretty amazing sheets though.
- Does this work with short hair?
- I haven’t had short hair in a long time, but I do know that it only makes it healthier…so it would probably grow stronger! I’m sure this works just the same with short hair!
- Do you wash more often if you work out?
- I don’t. I’m not a super heavy sweater though. Like I sweat, but my hair doesn’t if that makes sense. Do what works for you!!
- Does this work in the summer time and when you’re on beach trips?
- I don’t follow this regimen while I’m on a trip, especially to the beach! My hair gets too nasty everyday and I usually HAVE to wash it after being in the pool, beach and sun. Also, if I’m outside a lot in the summer and also go to the pool, I DO wash more often.
- What are some other styling options for those of us who can’t do a top knot/bun?
- I usually do braids, messy buns, pony tails, half up ponytails or messy buns! The options are endless. Pinterest is a good resource.
- Should I do this with my kids?
- We bathe our girls everyday, but I do not wash their hair every day. I wash about every 2-3 days for them, depending on what they get into during the day! I also use good shampoo on Laikyn, but still use baby shampoo on Lennyn.
- Is dry hair an issue for you after so much dry shampoo?
- It isn’t for me. It probably depends on what dry shampoo you use, and how often you are using it!
- What shampoo is the best?
If you have any other questions or I didn’t explain something well enough…please please comment below and let me know! I want to help you! Email or comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can! I would also love to hear comments and feedback! And tag me in your pictures if you do the 7 Day Dirty Hair Challenge! Who’s ready!? Let’s do this!