Motherhood and shopping don’t usually go hand-in-hand. Nothing has made me want to cry moooooreeee. RIP shopping. I miss you, so. Today I’m going to share 5 tips for keeping your sanity while going shopping with your kids (or someone else’s kids for that matter) and where to find the best deals for clothes at websites like ThredUp.
I try to get in my marathon shopping days while I have someone with my kids. When I do have the kids, I hit up certain stores quickly and with lots of snacks in hand. I get lots of questions on my Snapchat on shopping with two kids…how I do it and WHY do I put myself through that misery. Well, I’m going to put it simply: I really, really love shopping. I don’t want to give up shopping, and I want to teach my little minis to be good shoppers.
So I wanted to share a few tips on how I get through shopping with kids, and just how I don’t lose my sanity while doing so. Oh, and how I score good deals on clothes!
- Plan Your Day – Plan your day around when your kids will act the best. Walking into a store right smack dab in the middle of nap time is setting yourself up for failure, disappointment and a whole lot of rolled eyes coming your way when your toddler knocks over a lamp screaming for a bag of chips. *maybe it’s happened, maybe it hasn’t…let’s just say I usually speak from experience…*
- Be Specific – Have in mind what you’re looking for and stick to it. If you are going with that perfect pair of jeans in mind, keep your eye on the prize. Don’t get sidetracked with perfume and the perfect coverage of foundation that just came out. Oh, and stay away from the shoes. They ARE going to ask you what you need…and let’s face it: you always need shoes. Steer clear unless that is what you are going to purchase today.
- Take a Good Stroller – One that you can get in and out of the car quickly. One that isn’t going to be massive and get stuck in between the hanging clothes at Dillard’s. Perfect strollers are hard to come by, especially doubles, but I’m loving this Maxi Cosi Adorra lately. It’s lightweight and for infants you can just snap in your infant carrier. Laikyn is big enough to walk now (not always to be trusted, but she can walk beside us when she’s doing her job) so I’ve been taking the single stroller. The Andorra is lightweight and perfect for shopping days. Strap that baby in the stroller and let’s get rolling.
- Take Snacks/iPad/Distractions – This is probably the most important tip there is. It seems simple and to the point, but you cannot have enough snacks, drinks, iPad games, etc. aka bribery. Just do it to get you through the store. Just do it. I packed my snacks and iPad into this new Tiger Daisy bag. I’m loving it because it’s a two-in-one bag that you can zip apart and leave one with the babe and take one with you. Super cool y’all!
- Shop Online – I never know what kind of deals I’m getting until I shop around online. I’ve been loving the online secondhand boutique ThredUp because I can get designer clothes and accessories that are in perfect or excellent condition without having to spend a fortune. And…you don’t have to take the kids with you when you shop online! Probably the best thing, but it’s not that instant gratification of leaving with a bag in your hand. However, it’s fun to get mail to your front door!
So do you feel ready to hit the stores and score some deals?
I want to share what I recently found online at ThredUP because I seriously saved over $150 scoring my items for 72% off! You definitely can’t pass that up.
I narrowed my wish list down to these three things: Silence and Noise denim jumpsuit, Rehab black overalls and a Banana Republic grey one-shoulder ruffle top.
I was so surprised when all of my items came in and fit! I couldn’t wait to wear them! Lennie helped me decide what to wear first… 😉
I decided to wear this Silence and Noise jumpsuit first! I got it for $13.99! What the what!?!?!? I got SO many compliments on it too, and am so glad that it worked out for me. It is in perfect condition and I’ll definitely get some more wears out of it. I can see layering it with a loose sweater cardigan like this one for fall and even throwing on some riding boots. I can’t wait try some other ways to wear it.
I want to add that even though I have these tips for shopping with kiddos and keeping your sanity, it doesn’t always go according to plan. We are all human here. Nothing is ever perfect, and my kids don’t ever act perfect. I don’t handle every situation perfectly and don’t have everything I need all of the time to make the situation perfect. It’s okay. It’s okay to be a hot mess and it’s okay to take your kids through your hot mess.
Just give yourself some grace, buy yourself the shoes and move on…. and when you’re finished with those shoes you can sell them on ThredUp!
If you want to sell gently used clothes on ThredUp, you can simply order a thredUP Clean Out Bag, fill it with the items you no longer want (consult our website to see what we do not and not take, and what the payout is), and place it on your front door for pick-up. It literally could not be easier to get rid of the things you no longer want and make a little payback doing so!
I hope you’re all having the best weekend! Let me know if you try ThredUp and what you score!! Also, if you have any funny stories while shopping with kids, I’d love to hear them! Happy Shopping!
You can get everything you need for your Fall wardrobe at ThredUp by saving:
Use Code WOW40 At Checkout!