Can you believe it’s already a couple of weeks into the new year? Maybe you’ve already started on those healthy habits to form this year or maybe you need a little push in the right direction. Either way, I’m here today to share 5 of my tips for being healthier this year. Believe me, I need these tips in my life more than anyone, so keep reading and maybe vow to do them with me?
I can’t claim that I’m the healthiest person in the world, but I do try my best to make healthy choices and try to be better each day. You won’t see me doing any diets or fad workouts, because to be honest, I just never stick with them. I’ve found that making subtle healthy changes in your life help you more in the long run than just doing a crash diet or exercise plan.
Here are my 5 tips that I am incorporating into our family’s day-to-day this year:
5 Tips to Be Healthier This Year
- Walk instead of drive – If you can get somewhere by walking or just step out to take a 15 minute walk, not only is it good for your body to get moving but it’s good for your soul to get some fresh air. My girls and I try to take walks or get outside daily.
- Substitute One Thing a Day – I have been trying this more this year and it’s been helpful. Instead of grabbing oreos at night, I will grab an apple sliced with almond butter. Instead of using butter, I substitute with Olive Oil. Don’t change your whole life by cutting out all dairy, sugar, etc but just pick one thing to substitute and see if it makes a difference. I am going to pick up one of these books for recipe ideas! Also, just find a healthier way to cook the recipes you already have – tips here!
- Find a Way to Be Active – I am the world’s worst in saying that I am going to work out and then can’t stick with it. I have found that if I just do my daily tasks but add a little squats, lunges, crunches, etc here and there I get it in more easily than if I block off a whole hour for going to the gym. Plus, no excuses if you just vow to do 50 lunges while being outside with your kiddos.
- Take a Multivitamin/Probiotic – This is SO IMPORTANT. I have been giving my family probiotics for years now and it’s so important for overall health. Multivitamins can change your body’s immune system and overall health as well.
- Drink More Water – This is HUGE for me. Whenever I was nursing, I drank 100oz+ water a day. I don’t think I even get in 32 ounces now. I’m going to MAKE myself and my kids have more water because I know we all feel better (and look better) when we’re hydrated!
Walmart has been so helpful in making our family have a healthy lifestyle in 2018. Not only with helping me keep my new year’s resolutions, Walmart is helping me embed healthier habits that I can keep long term as well! I was also shocked to find some of the cutest activewear there for a steal! Basically, Walmart is a one-stop-shop for all things you need to keep your resolutions and set healthier expectations for your whole family! Also, you can do grocery pick up and not even have to take your kids in to shop! THAT in itself is life changing! Walmart has so many great choices in keeping your family healthy – check out their website HERE.
We have started doing our grocery shopping online at Walmart and then doing the curbside pickup. It’s so helpful to be able to choose the right products online so I don’t get tempted by the junk in-store!
Do you have any tips for being healthier this year? No real life changing advice here, but just some tips that are actually applicable to everyone’s lives. I am going to be making some healthier choices, and hope that I continue to stick with it through the entire year while maintaining balance. Life is all about balance! I’ll never give up Oreos, but I can definitely think of several other ways to change my habits and be a healthier, happier person!
Thank you to Walmart for sponsoring today’s post! All content and opinions are that of my own!
Photos by Lissa Anglin