I certainly don’t know about you, but I can’t always fit in a good workout in the midst of my diaper duty and play-doh creations. In fact, I don’t have the best workout routine and can’t tell you that I know the secret to losing that baby weight. I don’t even know the secret to squeezing in 20 minutes of a workout into your day, but I want to share with you what works for me and 5 tips for being a fit mom.
I go through phases where I can exercise everyday for months and then all of a sudden, it’s like I don’t have any time in the world. I know life is all about balance and going through phases, so I try not to be too hard on myself. I do try to do these few things to make sure that I am overall a healthy mom because it’s so important to be healthy for your family! Like I said, these tips are NOT going to make you lose pounds or get you those biceps of your dreams, but it will help you get the right mindset to be healthy. Healthy is the new fit.
Here are a few tips that have helped me since becoming a mom:
- Mindset : Remind yourself that you have birthed children and your body will never be what it was before that. Your stomach will never be what you remembered it to be before stretching to what you thought was the universe and your boobs will never be as perky. I will tell you that you will be smaller in some places and bigger in others. Just embrace your motherhood body and focus on what makes you FEEL GOOD instead of what makes you look SKINNY.
- Set Goals : Whether it is to do a 25 minute exercise in your home, attend a new workout class, go on a walk with the stroller, plan to finish a 5K…set a goal and try to stick to it. Remind yourself every day about the goal and find some buddies to do it with you. I usually have a goal before a big trip and it always helps to have friends doing the same routine to keep you accountable.
- Eat Clean(ish) : I say -ish because I can’t say that I eat 100% clean. I do try to stick to whole foods, but I do love me some McDonald’s fries and Oreos. I try to balance with 80% food that is good for you and 20% splurges. I don’t know if there is any science behind this, but it’s my personal motto. It seems to work for the most part, and there are times that I’m way off but I just try to not beat myself up about it! #havethebrownie and don’t feel guilty.
- Find a Exercise Routine You Love : Mine changes from time to time. I’ve done everything from running to pilates and cycling to BeachBody workouts. I’ve even done 8 minute YouTube videos. Seriously just do what you have time for. Work out to your mood. If you feel like doing Yoga but don’t have time for an hour class, just search ‘X Minute Yoga’ on YouTube and the options are endless. I really like Blogilates and Bikini Body Mommy on YouTube. I like t25, 21 Day Fix and 22 Minute Hard Corps from BeachBody, and love a good run outside but hardly ever have time for that without pushing a double stroller. I try to get in 10,000 steps a day regardless of what workout I completed!
- Track it with an App : There is seriously an app for that. There is an app for everything that you might want. I use the 21 Day Fix app to track my foods, 8fit for workouts and body tracking, SworkIt for quick workouts and of course YouTube when I’m needing something on the go. I know there are endless apps out there that you could use, just ask around and see what works for you. What works for one person might not work for the next, so try not to compare and compete unless it’s within yourself!
I’d love to hear the tips you have for being fit through motherhood! I know it’s not as easy as it once was, but being healthy is more important now that you have those babies to take care of! I would love to answer any questions (although, I am no expert) on my workouts and what I do to stay fit and healthy! What have you tried that’s worked or not worked? If you want to join our Bits of Life Healthy Living group HERE, we’d love to have you!